Tuesday 7 June 2011

Pattern Cutting - How to Draft a Basic Skirt Block Part 1

I'm going to try my best to explain how to draft a basic straight skirt pattern. My pattern should fit a size 10 to a size 12 but it could be altered to fit any size and it you follow my instructions this should be able to fit on an A2 piece of paper. I'm sorry but there are going to be a lot of photos with this post because its the only way I know to explain it. So anyway, I better start.

Mark point A at the top right hand side of your paper and square both ways.

From point A measure 20.5 cm down and mark point B
The measurement from point A to point C is your front length plus a cm seam allowance. 
So, for me the distance between point A and point C is 36cm.

Square from point B
The distance between point B and point D is a quarter of your hip measurement plus a cm seam allowance.
For me the distance is 25cm.

From point D square both way and square from point C too.
Continue the lines until they meet and form point E.
You can do the same for point A to make point F.

The distance between point A and G is a quarter of your waist measurement plus 3 cm dart allowance.
For me the distance was 20.5cm

Point I is should be 1 cm above point G
Draw a curved line between point I and Point A
Point J should be 15 cm away from point A
This is the center of your dart

Square down from point J to make point I (where it meets on the line between point B and D)
Point K is 8 cm down from point J
This is the length of your dart

The dart should be 3 cm wide
Half the dart allowance equally at point J and join these points to K

Curve a line between point H and point D to complete the front of the pattern
Make sure it is marked as the front and add the Cut on Fold sign
This is a straight line with two arrows that should point to the line between point A and point C
This means when you cut fabric using this pattern you should fold the fabric in half and place the pattern on the fold and cut both parts of the front of the pattern at once.

So this is the first part of how to draft a basic skirt block pattern. Let me know what you think about it and let me know if theres anything I've not explained well enough or if you have any bother with it. Thanks x

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this block. Don't know if i'm reading it wrong but point 'I' was above point 'G' then you say do a line down to 'B' 'D' to create 'I'. Also you say do a curve from 'H' to 'D' I am guessing you mean G to D as H was not mentioned before. Thank you

    ReplyDelete