Saturday 11 June 2011

Pattern Cutting - How To Draft A Panel Skirt

This is probably the easiest skirt pattern to make, trust me it is really simple. This skirt will be made up of 6 panels but could be altered to use 8 panels if you like. My pattern should fit between a size 10 and a size 12 but I included the measurements for different sizes in a previous post so you can make it to fit your measurements. Also this pattern should be able to fit on an A3 bit of paper. Okay, I better start now.

Mark point A at the top right hand side of your paper and square in both directions.

Measure down 20.5 cm and mark point B
The distance between point A and point C should be the full length of your skirt plus a cm seam allowance. For me this was 41 cm.

Square at point B
The distance between point B and point D should be 1/6 of your hip measurement (or if your making 8 panels it should be 1/8 of your measurement.)
For me this is 16cm.

Square down to point E (from point D) and join to point C 
Square up to point F (from point D) and join to point A
You should now have a full rectangle

Point G is halfway between point A and point F
For me this was 8.5 cm away from point F

Point G should also be halfway between point I and point H too
The distance between point I and H should be 1/6 of your waist measurement (or 1/8 if you're making 8 panels)
For me this was just under 12.5cm but I rounded up to 13cm

Curve a line between point I and point D
Then do the same for point H to point B


Cut it out, name it and note how whether the skirt is to be made up of 6 of these panels or 8 and you're finished.

Just like the straight skirt pattern, this can be manipulate in many ways to make your designs. I hope to show how to make a bubble skirt from this pattern maybe next week if I have time.

If you want to draft a waistband pattern for this skirt there is a quick tutorial here:

So anyway, hope you find this helpful, and if you have any issues with my tutorial please let me know so I can fix it as soon as. Thanks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment