Saturday 11 June 2011

Pattern Cutting - How To Draft A Waistband Pattern

It's really simple to draft a pattern for a waistband, so rather than mention it in every tutorial, I'll show you how to do it here and I'll link to it.

For the length of your waistband you need to divide your waist measurement by 2 (for me that's 33cm)
Then add 4cm if you want to make a button hole (optional)
Then add another cm for ease
And then a final 2 cm for your seam allowance
(The dots on this picture are just where I've marked each stage)

For the width of your waistband you need to start with the finished width of your waistband multiplied by two, as the fabric will be folded to make your waistband. I want my waistband to be 3 cm wide so my mark 6 cm for my width so far.
Then add 2 cm for your seam allowance
This makes my pattern width 8 cm


Finally label your waistband and add the cut on fold sign as you need twice the length of your pattern.
And you're done.


So I hope this is helpful to you, let me know if you have any issues with this tutorial, thanks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment