Tuesday 7 June 2011

Pattern Cutting - The Tools You Will Be Needing

I’d like to start putting up some basic pattern drafting lessons soon so I might as well post the things you will need to follow the instructions. Pattern cutting tools can be pretty expensive but if you plan to have a career in fashion design you will need to invest in them at some point.

That said however, I haven’t really bought all my own tools yet due to money issues so I’ve came up with some alternatives to get me by for now. You will definitely be needing a pair of sharp scissors and pencil though, but I’m pretty sure everybody can get access to those :)

So here is the list of tools and there alternatives I’ve came up with:

Ideally
Alternatives
L square ruler
Right Angle triangle ruler
Awl
Sharp pencil
Notcher
Scissors
Grade N Rule or French Curves
Large compass or guess work
Dot and Cross Pattern Cutting Paper
Left over wallpaper roll

So I hope this is helpful, if there are any tools I’ve missed out let me know, and if you have any better alternatives available, that would also be great. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment