Monday 6 June 2011

Primary Research

What is Primary Research?
These are the findings you have collected or recorded first hand. They are generally recorded through drawings or photographs and provide greater sensory associations than just the object itself. Primary Research can be a lot more personal than secondary research.

How can I gather primary research?
  • Quick sketches of people or objects
  • Non-dominant hand drawings
  • Continuous line drawings
  • Photographs
  • Collages
  • Monoprinting
  • Watercolours
What should you include in your primary research?
The most valuable primary research includes elements such as textures, shapes, patterns and embellishments.  It is more important to show these elements in your drawings than it is to draw the object perfectly. Images that incorporate these elements can easily be developed into fabric samples at a later stage and these could then be developed to be used as part of a garment.

I’d quite like to go into more detail later about the ways you can experiment with primary research but if there’s anything I’ve left out feel free to let me know and I’ll sort it when I can. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment